Amazing. Ponderous studies are issued to state the obvious. Poor dietary habits are dangerous to your health. Then there is Trump. The Fatman wants to eliminate standards encouraging healthy diet in America’s schools. Figures. Trump, obese reality show host masquerading as President, is The Junk Food Afficiando.
Excerpted from Deutsche Welle 4.4.2019
One in five people across the world dies of causes linked to poor diet, a new study shows. Overconsumption of meat, salt and sugar are the main culprits, the experts behind the study say.
People across the world are eating too much of the wrong food and much too little of the healthy types, a study in the journal “The Lancet” says.
The study, released on Thursday, indicates that poor diet is responsible for more deaths than any other risk factor, including smoking. The biggest killer in the 11 million global deaths attributed to poor diet every year is cardiovascular disease, which is often caused or made worse by obesity.
What did the study find?
- More than 10 times the recommended amount of sugary drinks were consumed across the world
- People consume 86 percent more salt on average than the levels generally considered safe.
- The global intake of red meat was 18 percent greater than that considered optimal.
- Healthier foods such as whole grains, fruit, nuts and seeds do not feature enough in most people’s diets.
- Economic inequality is a big factor, with poor people often struggling to meet the “five a day” fruit and vegetable recommendation.