Anti-Semite guns down two near German Synagogue. Could have been worse

Whether it be in Germany or the United States, Anti-Semite Nazi thugs spread their murderous hate.

Excerpted from Deutsche Welle 10.9.2019

Two people have been killed and two injured after an attack on a synagogue in the eastern city of Halle. Authorities believe the attack was motivated by anti-Semitism.

Yom Kippur Attack III 10.9.2019

In the livestream of the attack, the assailant apologizes to the viewers repeatedly for his failure to kill.

The attack on a synagogue in the eastern German city of Halle in the state of Saxony-Anhalt sent shockwaves across country on Wednesday. Authorities have arrested a 27-year-old German, Stephan B. and have indicated that they believe he acted alone.

Josef Schuster, president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany said, “The brutality of the attack surpasses everything we have seen in recent years, and is deeply shocking to all Jews in Germany.”

Schuster was also critical of police, however, saying, “It is scandalous that police were not protecting the synagogue in Halle on a holiday like Yom Kippur.” Synagogues in many German cities receive special police protection, and Yom Kippur, the feast of atonement, is the highest holy day in the Jewish calendar.

Police say the man had no previous arrests, but his targets suggest that he had anti-Semitic and xenophobic beliefs. German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said that anti-Semitism was certainly one of the shooter’s motives.

The shooter was unable to break through the secured door of the synagogue using fire power and witnesses report that one homemade bomb also failed to explode.

Shooting began at synagogue and ended at kebab shop

The shooting occurred shortly after 11 a.m., when the perpetrator attempted to enter the synagogue but was unable to gain entrance. He then shot and killed a woman near the entrance to the adjacent Jewish cemetery.

Yom Kippur Attack II 10.9.2019

The assailant then got back into his car and drove to a nearby kebab shop where he killed another victim. Police later said that they had found an improvised explosive device near the synagogue.

Two further people were injured during the rampage in Halle. Local authorities say that the two, a man and a woman, were treated for gunshot wounds. They are no longer at risk of death according to hospital officials.

Dressed in combat gear, the attacker was also wearing a helmet with a camera, which he used to livestream the attack on Amazon’s streaming platform Twitch. During the video, which was quickly removed, the assailant ranted that the Holocaust had never happened as well as shouting xenophobic and misogynistic statements.

The suspect was apprehended by city police after he crashed his car.

Technical failures saved lives

The shooter used multiple weapons, including homemade bombs and what appears to be a homemade rifle. He experienced repeated technical failures during the attack, which ultimately saved lives.

A man who stopped his vehicle to check on the woman shot outside the synagogue was able to get away unharmed when the shooter’s weapon failed to fire.

It jammed again after he began firing at the kebap shop. Several people were able to flee.

Politicians and religious leaders condemned the attack, which occurred on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, and expressed their solidarity with Germany’s Jewish community.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who attended a vigil Wednesday evening at a synagogue in the capital Berlin, conveyed her “deepest condolences.” Steffen Seibert, Merkel’s spokesman, wrote on Twitter: “Our solidarity is with Germany’s Jews on this Yom Kippur. Our thanks go out to security forces still deployed.”

City on lockdown

The attack put the city in lockdown for several hours as police followed leads that suggested accomplices may have fled the scene. The lockdown also affected national train traffic as the train station, a hub between Berlin, Munich and Hamburg, was closed.

Police later declared that it was safe for people in Halle to leave their homes, yet as DW’s Kate Brady reported live from the scene, there was an eerie silence across the city as flashing blue lights illuminated the night while police continued to search for evidence.