Lee Heidhues 5.11.2022
The entire World is shocked and appalled by the wanton murder of Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh in territory occupied by Israel by a member of the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF).
Ms. Abu Akleh was clearly identified with a PRESS vest. The Israeli Defense Force assassin murdered the journalist from a distance shooting her through the back of the neck and head.
This totally cowardly and indefensible act calls for swift condemnation and action against the Israeli government, Israeli Defenses Forces and those responsible for this murder.
The American government cannot stand by and treat this as business as usual with the Israeli government. There must be an accounting and ramifications for this murderous act against a Palestinian-American journalist.
Excerpted from Al Jazeera 5.11.2022
- Calls for an independent investigation into the killing of veteran Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh grow amid global outrage.
- Abu Akleh has been shot and killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank.
- The 51-year-old was covering an Israeli army raid on the Jenin refugee camp when she was shot in the face by a single bullet, despite wearing a press vest.
- Another Palestinian journalist, Ali al-Samoudi, was wounded in the back but is in a stable condition.
- Al Jazeera, in a statement, said Abu Akleh was “assassinated in cold blood” and called on the international community to hold Israeli forces responsible
Shireen Abu Akleh – January 3, 1971 – May 11, 2022
US Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib has called on the American government to investigate the killing of Abu Akleh, saying that Washington should not allow “the same people committing those war crimes to do the investigation,” referring to Israel.
“We need to investigate, ourselves, the killing of an American citizen. Somebody that was out there being a guardian of truth and doing her job was murdered by an apartheid government that we continue to fund with unconditional aid,” Tlaib told Al Jazeera in a TV interview.